Frequently Asked Questions
A: If your student has fever, cough, muscle aches, sore throat, shortness of breath, loss of smell or taste, new or unusual headache, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or loss of appetite in line with the symptoms associated with COVID-19, stay home and notify Ms. Johnson and your teacher. If your child is at school, they must notify their teacher and we will make arrangements for them to go home immediately.
If your child is positive for COVID-19 or presumed positive: The child may return to school when
- at least 10 days have passed since symptoms first appeared AND
- at least 3 days (72 hours) have passed since recovery, defined as a resolution of fever without the use of fever-reducing medications AND
- symptoms (e.g., cough, shortness of breath) have improved.
- all students must be cleared through the front office to return to school
If you are negative for COVID-19: You may return to work when you are symptom free with no fever reducing medicine.
A: If your child was within 6 feet of a person for 15 minutes or more who is known or suspected to have the virus, this is a first-degree exposure. Please keep your child home. Your child may return to school 7 days after exposure with a negative test on the 6th or 7th day, or after 10 days with no symptoms and no test.
A: This is a first-degree exposure. Please see the question above.
A: This is a second-degree exposure. Monitor your child for any symptoms. No further action is needed unless you have a first degree exposure, or your child develops symptoms.
A: The following improvements have been made to the school building:
- Temperature scanners at entrance of school
- Hand sanitizing stations throughout the hallways
- Water fountains replaced with water bottle filling stations
- Air filtration system added to the AC units
- Masks provided for all
- Mid-day and Night-time daily cleaning service
A: For students in grades 3 - 8, a mask will be required all day, except for breaks, eating, and time outdoors. For students in grades K-4, we will use masks “on the move” when coming into the building or leaving, or moving around the building.
A: Yes, they are reusable. They will be sent home daily. You can wash it as often as you choose. If an additional permanent one is wanted or needed, it can be purchased from the office for $5.
A: Class sizes will remain our standard class size of 16 to 20 students.
A: Distancing will be provided in the following ways:
- Children will be kept in their own classroom or with their own grade for most of the day
- Desks will be distanced as much as the classroom allows
- Every child will have their own clear, portable desk shield that will stay at their desk & go with them to other classes (i.e. art);
- As much as possible, unnecessary “clutter” has been removed to allow distancing
A: Follow the sick guidelines as referenced in the Parent Handbook, page 30 (we will also give these guidelines to you if your child leaves school sick).